Dr. Esquivel completed his Bachelors degree in Philosophy in 1990 from U.C. Berkeley and spent several years in Japan studying the Asian healing arts. He returned to the U.S. and completed his Masters degree in Traditional Chinese Medicine in 2001 and opened his private practice in 2002 as a Licensed Acupuncturist. He furthered his education by completing the Diplomate of the National Board of Acupuncture Orthopedics board-certification in 2003 and completed his Doctorate degree in Oriental Medicine (O.M.D.) in 2007. He is currently working towards completing the Master of Science in Human Nutrition and Functional Medicine degree from the University of Western States in Portland, Oregon. The MSHNFM program is currently the only Master of Science degree in the country offered specifically devoted to nutrition and functional medicine. His expected graduation is June, 2017.
He has over 14 years clinical experience with a wide variety of health issues in private practice and has provided acupuncture for work injuries in an occupational medicine or chronic pain setting for over 10 years. He currently provides acupuncture services at the SpineOne/RehabOne Medical Group in Los Gatos, CA, while maintaining his primary practice in Milpitas, CA.
He discovered Functional Medicine while in private practice and this immediately became a passion and has made this a mainstay of his practice. He opened San Jose Functional Medicine in November, 2009 with the goal of putting together a team of functional medicine doctors and practitioners of this emerging model of medicine. His devotion to optimal health and wellness is the basis and primary focus of his practice.
He has a wife from Japan and two children, the oldest who studies medicine at the U.C.S.F. – U.C. Berkeley Joint Medical Program.
He enjoys music, sports, spending time outdoors and spending time with his family.
O.M.D., L.Ac., D.N.B.A.O.
- Founder of Foundation of Acupuncture Research
- National Board of Internal Medicine for Acupuncturists
- National Guild of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine
- Meridian Institute of Integrated Chinese Medicine
- Five Branches Institute of Chinese Medicine (M.T.C.M.)
- Lerner Education-Cedars Sinai Medical Center
- South Baylo University (O.M.D.)
- Diplomate of National Board of Acupuncture Orthopedics (D.N.B.A.O.)
- Functional Medicine Diagnostics Certification (Genova Labs)
- FirstLine Therapy Certification (Metagenics)
- Acupuncture and Electroacupuncture: Evidence-Based Guidelines, CAOMA, 2004